Monday, August 17, 2015

Excuses

Well, it's been a few months. A week after my last post, the mother of three of my close friends died very suddenly, and I've been rather distracted since then. I hope to return to my schedule of posting every Sunday, but it might take me a little while to get back into the swing of things. In the mean time, there has been a development that I wanted to catch you up on.

Using the Twitter hashtag #MSWL, a friend of mine let me know that there was a literary agent looking for fantasy fairy-tale retellings. The novel that I wrote, Dragonhoard, fits that description perfectly, so I spent August 1st-8th madly finishing my second draft (which included adding more than 10,000 words and editing over half the existing chapters). I sent it to the agent, along with my query, on August 9th, and now am just waiting for a reply, which could take up to a month.

I would love to get an agent on my first try, but that is not realistic. What I am hoping to gain from this is some feedback from the agent about my work. Was she engaged by it? Was it interesting? Did she find the characters flat? All this information, if she takes the time to give me feedback, would be extremely helpful as I continue to query Dragonhoard over the next few months.

So, as I move along, and continue to journey the terrifying landscape of trying to publish a novel, I will endeavor to faithfully keep updating this blog. Till next time, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment